West Knoxville’s oldest Scots-Irish church, Erin Presbyterian, off Lockett Rd at Kingston Pike, near Papermill Drive, celebrates 130 years of preaching the Gospel today. It was chartered on Sunday September 30, 1877 and was originally situated where Kingston Pike meets Northshore Road.
‘Erin’ is the old Irish name for Ireland and means ‘the beautiful isle.’ The current pastor of the church is native Scotsman Rev. John Stuart. He has been preaching to the congregation in his Scottish brogue for the past twelve years. Today, he’ll be welcoming visitors and members with two traditional Scots-Irish Gaelic greetings: ‘Ceud Mhille Failte’ (a hundred thousand welcomes) and “Erin Go Bragh” (Ireland Forever).
Everyone is welcome to attend the church at 11.00am for the worship service. During the service, young Ella Grace Levering, whose family goes back six generations to the beginning of the church, will be baptized. An anniversary reception with birthday cake will take place after worship.